The Makandawa forest reserve is one of the oldest forest reserves in the country and is a significant protected area that is a birdwatcher’s paradise. It exceeds 192 hectares of land and is home to some of the most exotic and endangered wildlife including a dazzling array of endemic, migratory and resident birds.
You will be met by the excursion leader at this point. After the briefing, we walk through the village and find our dugout canoe handled by a villager to go across the village.
From the landing point we start our trail. The reserve has rich birdlife and has many endemic species, which makes it a great spot for avid birdwatchers. The hike takes you through a thick canopy of lush forest with trees towering above and providing natural shade and coolness even on the hottest days. The reserve has several waterfalls and it’s possible to swim in local swimming holes inside the reserve. Some of the birds that you may see in this area include the Sri Lankan Wood Pigeon, White Faced Starling, Green-billed Coucal, Sri Lanka Magpie, Red Faced Malkoha, Malabar Trogon, Sri Lanka Orange-billed Babbler, Sri Lanka Chestnut-backed Owlet and the Lesser Yellow Nape. Finishing the trail, we take a swinging bridge or the same canoe to cross back.
· Clients should bring suitable clothing for warm, windy and rainy conditions
· Recommended items such as insect repellent and sun protection should be brought by clients
· Water bottles and refreshments should be carried by clients at all times
· Truly experience Sri Lanka's untouched natural beauty.
· It’s the perfect destination for endemic bird watching.
· You will be led by an experienced naturalist who has great knowledge on the Makandawa Rainforest.
· Traditional dugout canoe ride to cross the Kelani River.
· Local community interactions and learning their way of life.
· Per person USD 30.
· Services of a local guide for the trek
· Bottled water
· Entrance fees to the Makandawa forest
· Any additional beverages or food, ordered extra
· Any tips for staff
· Any personal effects not mentioned here
· Optional activity costs
· Any others expense not mentioned in price inclusions section