In 1940, the Hikkaduwa Rocky Islets were declared sanctuaries and was limited to the land boundaries of these rocky islets. In 1998 it was upgraded to the status of a nature reserve and later to a national park. The famed Coral Gardens and Telwatte Bird Sanctuary are the main attractions of Hikkaduwe which lies 98km from Colombo. Foreign and local tourist come to see the famous “coral gardens” of Hikkaduwe, for the tourist who doesn’t like to get their feet wet glass bottom boats are available while others snorkel to reach them which are filled with brightly colored corals and marine life.
· Excellent marine life: Schools of barracuda, travels, fusiliers, blue stripe snappers, honey comb moray, large schools of gold line, spine trek, Oriental sweet lips, Yellow jack, lobsters, and rays are some of the fishes that could be seen.
· Personal effects for warm, windy, rainy conditions.
· Insect repellent and sun lotion.
· Per person USD 90
· Professional instructor
· Boat fees and wages for the boatman
· All snacks and refreshments
· Government tax
· Any transportation
· Any tips to the staff